Monday, February 23, 2009

In Memorium





The skipper, in his reconstructed retirement home

   I met Bob Carter, skipper of Hakuna Matata, online. He'd responded to one of my desperate posts on the Morgan Owners website, this one having to do with the repair of a busted portlight I'd put a frantic foot through during Deb's and my boat trip. Clear packing tape just wasn't cutting it anymore as a window to the world.

   It turned out Bob and I had sister ships in the Morgan 34, mine a '70 and his, I think, a '68. In the boat ownership biz that's plenty close enough. Bob helped me with my problem, emailing me detailed descriptions and photos of his own portlight rebuild, even shipping me left-over spline to finish the job.

   I got a chance to repay Bob some time later. He wanted to take a boat trip south with his wife, Ovida. Deb and I had already taken ours, and it was easy to assure them that if the two of us could do it, they could do it.  

   And do it they did, despite the fact that Bob had one glass eye, two hearing aids, and a crew consisting of a tentative first mate and four cats. I think I got the count right. Anyway, they didn't make it quite as far as they'd planned, but on this kind of trip that's not the point. They left the dock, which was the main thing. 

   I think it was a busted drive shaft. Or maybe a motor mount? Could have been the motor mount issue caused the shaft issue. Anyway, Ovida ended up enjoying an extended visit to the southern terminus of their trip, St. Augustine, while Bob enjoyed extended playtime in the engine compartment, where he flourished.

   Bob seemed forever the restless tinkerer. He was a toolmaker by trade, an engineer by inclination, and when his own designs failed his inspection, he was an idiot by self-proclamation. His inspired alterations of Hakuna Matata were further fueled by recent memories of the exploratory trip, and Bob was planning to move aboard full time with Ovida to cruise the eastern seaboard and beyond. Further medical complications put an end to those plans.

   We got a chance to see Bob last summer, when Deb and I took a trip to Block Island. On our way home, we anchored in Hakuna Matata's home port of Stonington, where we all got together for some good times. Bob and Ovida took us on an insider's tour of Mystic Seaport, a place he knew particularly well.

   The etherial among us might say Bob's restless spirit has finally found its way home. A tiny rebellious part of me always wants to believe such things. Generally I settle for a parting shot, in this case imagining the recipient has his hearing aid turned up.

   Fair winds, Captain, and rest in peace.

   

   The crew of Hakuna Matata

If you'd like to experience some of Bob and Ovida's well documented adventure, visit her blog at  http://hakunamatatayellowboat.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I think it's appropriate that I am able to make the first comment on your blog note on Bob. Since Bob also was an avid reader there's no doubt in my mind that he's found your piece and once again has a smile on his face. The crew picture you posted is one of my favorite shots of us. We were only a few days into our trip, still a little hesitant (with good cause given a couple of mishaps we had already had) but our visit with you made us certain we had made the right decision - except maybe for the 4 cat part :>) Take a sail for Bob and toast him in beautiful sunset. Ovida Carter and meows: Zachary, Sasquatch, Sneakers and Callie. Hakuna Matata

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I met Bob same as you on the Morgan website as I followed his and Ovida's progress down the intercoastal. I was fortunate enough to arrange a visit with them both on their boat as they passed Hampton, VA, heading north on their trip home. I really enjoyed the visit with them and was truly impressed with the work Bob had done on his Morgan 34. I also have a 67 Morgan 34 and took many notes and pictures on Bob's boat.
I was so very sorry to receive Ovidas note that Bob had died, since I hoped they would enjoy many more years of sailing. But I'm so glad they had the time that they did.

Bill Gilbert, "Sylvia", M34

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your great blog & posting the wonderful photos! My husband Sten & I were fortunate enough to be dock neighbors in St. Aug with Ovida & Bob for 3 mos last year. It's great to see his smiling face on their boat-- just the way we remember him. We are heading back to St. Aug this week from Savannah & I am sure it will be a bittersweet return with all the memories...
But thanks for sharing your story!
Cheers, Steph Hillman
s/v Lysistrata, 1973 C & C 39'

Anonymous said...

Paul,
We met Bob and Ovida in New Jersey with us both being on our first trip south bound. We again caught up with them in St. Augustine four months later. While traveling we enjoyed our weekly phone updates to see how another "newbie cruising" boat was doing. Bob always had a great story to tell about his weekly adventures. Our visit with Bob and Ovida in St. Augustine was great. The lunches, dinners and walking tours we took with the Carters were filled with laughter and are some of our fondest memories.
We are so lucky to have known him.

Fair winds and following seas.

Paul and Susan Gruebnau
s/v Going Coasal

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely words about Bob, Ovida and Hakuna Matada. I was so fortunate to have the Carters as my "slip mate" at Oyster Creek marina in St. Augustine. Bob so freely shared his bountiful knowledge and suggestions for care and "fixing" of my boat. His sheer enjoyment of the boat and the sea was magical. I was so sad when they left, but clearly looked forward to their return to southern waters in the future.
Bob's gentle ways, to watch him play with the "numerous" four legged crew members each AM as they left the safety of the cabin was fun.
He will be missed by all of us.
Mary Gray, S/V Island Lady